Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

why do only creepy old men hit on me?

i do a lot of hair and thus i meet a lot of people. i only spend 10-20 minutes with each person depending on picky-ness, but it's amazing how much you can get to know someone in that amount of time. having spent a large portion of my time doing hair for 6 years this month, i have figured out a lot of stuff about the industry including but not limited to: the kind of clients who like me best. i have a knack for understanding moody teenagers. they always like me and the ones with cool parents always oblige to letting their teens make regular appointments with me. this is nothing new or eye opening for me. one day, i will be a jr. high or high school teacher of some sort for this exact reason. maybe it's because i'm their size and i look their age? who knows. teenagers just love me.

the other most popular client on my books  is men who range anywhere from the age of my father to the age of my grandfathers and then generally a little older than that. the older they are the more they seem to love me and the more loyal they are. old man, parted, scissor cuts are quickly becoming my forte in the hair business. and with these cuts comes a plethora of compliments and awkward comments such as: "if only i were 50 years younger, i'd take you to the movies this friday night!" that used to creep me out at first, but so did the constant:"you look like a little elf!"comments i get from strangers on a regular basis. it's amazing how time and consistency can turn even the most awkward of things into the norm. and, oh if only it were 1955, i would have more dates than i'd be able to handle!

at first i thought maybe i needed to revamp my wardrobe, or buy a more "current" perfume (or even wear perfume for that matter) but i've come to realize that the problem is not that i resemble a woman in her 60s+ but that i was, as i've said before, born in the wrong era. unfortunately i don't find many guys my age who life their life with the kind of "hepburnesque" class i strive for. nor do they even understand it, let alone appreciate it. guys my age have all kinds of bizarre commitment phobias and issues i don't understand. i've been hurt pretty badly but i still have a soft heart that is always ready to love. they typically don't understand classic literature, timeless jazz, the beauty of live theater. but what it really comes down to is the beauty of individuality, of being un-apologetically yourself. little do these adorable old men know that black converse are my shoe of choice, my current band is cake, and my ultimate crush will probably always be heath ledger with his semi-nasty 90s grunge hair/style. don't let my bobbed hair and cute wedge shoes fool you too much.


and as a side note, here's a list i recently created of my top ten irrational crushes (in no particular order and in addition to the previously mentioned heath ledger)

1-Spok
2-Niles Crane
3-Harry Osborne (pre green goblin)
4-Jack Black
5-Bruno Mars
6-Severus Snape
7-Bruce Wayne
8-Ben Gibbard
9-Chuck Bartowski
10-leonardo di caprio.

No comments:

Post a Comment